Match Report

Frome Town
R Bath
Match details
Competition: Southern League Premier Division South
Date: Saturday 22 December 2018
Attendance: 223

Hendon's run of poor results continued as they went down to a late goal against relegation-battling Frome Town. The Greens had something to prove after the previous week's debacle at Walton, so it was always going to be a cagey game and so it proved.

There were four changes to the Hendon starting 11, Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, Shaun Lucien and debutants Brendan Murphy-McVey and Darren Locke all coming in. Those who missed out were Howard Hall (injured), Adam Pepera (not included), Tanasheh Abrahams (on bench) and Cole Brown (signed for Walton Casuals), while Connor Calcutt's back injury ensured his absence too.

Also on the bench was Scott McGleish, who rejoined the club as player coach, having been a youth teamer in 1991–92.

After five minutes, Hendon conceded a free-kick, which was cleverly played by Frome. The ball came into the penalty area and Jordan Rogers really should have done better when the chance fell to him.

The biggest thorn in Hendon's side for the 90 minutes was right-sided attacking midfielder Johnny Gorman. In the 14th minute, he forced a save out of Danny Boness, but it was not a particularly difficult one.

Both defences were certainly committed, and they contributed to the lack of real goalmouth activity because they routinely reached the ball before the attacker or at the same time resulting the move petering out tamely. In fact, it was a feature of Frome's attitude that they never gave Hendon a moment to settle in possession and this resulted in only a couple of half-chances in the visitors' box or shots from distance.

Boness made another comfortable save from a free-kick after 40 minutes before, as half-time approached, the goalkeeper had his first moment of real concern. It came from a shot, which took a big deflection and there was a sigh of some relief, given Hendon's recent misfortunes, that the ball flashed wide of the opposite post and not just inside it.

Hendon were much better in the second half and began to ask some questions of the Frome defence. First, however, was an error from Murphy-McVey, who got caught in possession by Josh Morgan-Williams, and he advanced to 30 yards out before firing wide of the target with an early strike.

Ricardo German went on a mazy run after 58 minutes, but he was eventually crowded out. Five minutes later, Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick did have the ball in the Frome net, but the flag for offside had gone up and the whistle blown as he was finishing off his one-two with German.

Lucien then delivered a teasing cross which was struck just a tiny bit too hard because Hippolyte-Patrick and German, sliding in, were too far away to divert the ball into what would have been an unguarded net.

Murphy-McVey and Taofiq Olomowewe both had half-chances from set-pieces but failed to find the target. The latter, however, did appear to be held back as he tried to reach the ball.

For once not forced into an early change because of injury, Hendon made their first substitution inside the final 20 minutes. Matty Harriott was the man to make way and Gianni Crichlow took over from him.

With 11 minutes to go, Frome got their winner. A quick ball was played down their right side, where the ever-willing Gorman was happy to advance.

He looked up and played the ball in towards the penalty area. Hendon's defence was desperately under-manned and taking full advantage was substitute Ryan Bath.

Although he may have been in an offside position when he controlled the ball, he had assuredly been well onside when it was played and, after taking a touch, Bath shot past the advancing and exposed Boness.

Hendon's heads did not drop and German watched his effort cleared off the line. The closest the Greens came to an equaliser was when Darren Locke powered a header goalwards, but James Carey made a superb save, tipping the ball against the crossbar.

Tyriq Hunte replaced Lucien for the final few minutes but could not make a difference. He had a squeak of a chance to reach a loose ball near to the post, but a red shirt reached it first and cleared the danger

And it nearly got worse for the Greens in stoppage time. Gorman nearly scored a second when he struck a low shot against the inside of the near post and the rebound was eventually scrambled clear.

Report by David Ballheimer : Not to be reproduced without prior permission


This match was sponsored by Alan Whiting
The matchballs were sponsored by Bryan Roberts
The mascot for this match was Liam Priday

Match Highlights

For more details about payments, please see the HFCTV page.


Home Squad
Shirt Player Info
1 Danny Boness  
2 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway  
3 Lee Chappell  
4 Brendan Murphy-McVey  
5 Taofiq Olomowewe  
6 Darren Locke  
7 Prince Mbengui  
8 Matty Harriott  
9 Ricardo German  
10 Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick  
11 Shaun Lucien  
12 Gianni Crichlow for 8 , 74
13 Tanasheh Abrahams  
14 Bayley Brown  
15 Tyriq Hunte for 11 , 86
17 Scott McGleish  

Frome Town

Away Squad
Shirt Player Info
1 James Carey  
2 Krissy Miller  
3 Sam Teale  
4 Kriss Scott  
5 Marcus Mapstone  
6 Connor Roberts  
7 Johnny Gorman  
8 Alex Monks  
9 Jordan Rogers  
10 Josh Morgan-Williams  
11 Rex Mannings  
12 Ricky Scott  
14 Ollie Knowles for 4 , 70
15 Josh Brace  
16 Tristan Plummer for 10 , 86
19 Ryan Bath for 9 , 70