Match Report

Farnborough Town
Sunday 14 November 1999
Isthmian League Premier Division

Match Report

Frank Murphy's plans for the match were disrupted by Matthew Howard and Gary Fitzgerald who went to Farnborough (Kent) instead of Farnborough (Hampshire)! John-Simon White was unavailable through illness, so Jason McKoy slotted into the right back position and Jesse Hall made his debut on the left hand side of midfield, after a short spell with Wealdstone, while Jon Daly was suspended.

The start of the match saw the hosts have a long spell of pressure, and for a while it as much as Hendon could do to get the ball into the opposing half. Farnborough, however, were unable to convert the possession into chances. Lee Endersby caused a few problems on the wing, but the Hendon defence stayed strong, Curtis Warmington proving to be particularly outstanding.

Paul Whitmarsh did manage to finally put the ball in the net, but was a yard offside. Bontcho Guentchev then made a mazy run down the right midway through the half, but Stuart MacKenzie in the Farnborough goal claimed the ball comfortably. Dominic Gentle and Paul Whitmarsh gradually caused more problems up front, while Davis Haule was magnificent in midfield and Jason McKoy put in a couple of good crosses from the right.

Gary Fitzgerald replaced Jesse Hall at half time and Hendon changed to a wing-back system, so that Simon Clarke could push further forward. Early in the second half, Gary McCann made a fantastic reflex save, when a goal looked certain.

Finally the deadlock was broke in the 53rd minute, when Dominic Gentle beat a couple of defenders, and sent a low drive at goal which MacKenzie parried well, Paul Whitmarsh followed up, but MacKenzie managed to get up to save well again, but then much to the delight of the 30 travelling fans, Bontcho Guentchev hit the rebound from 13 yards to score his 3rd goal in 4 games.

Farnborough fought for an equaliser and Steve Darlington and Bruno Mendonca both came close, however there was some good defending from the back 3 of Curtis Warmington, Gary Fitzgerald, and the ever reliable Paul Towler. As the match wore on, Farnborough became more and more desparate. In the 73rd minute, Farnborough left back, Richard Horner, was carried off with what looked like a nasty ankle injury after a 50/50 challenge with Jason McKoy.

Soon after Dale Binns replaced Bontcho Guentchev, but he was unable to make much of an impact. Lee Endersby missed a good chance for Farnborough as he put the ball over the bar after a good cross. Late on Curtis Warmington limped off with what looked like a groin or hamstring strain, and Steve Baker slotted into the back 3.

Soon afterwards the referee, Mr Deadman, who was somewhat lenient but nevertheless consistent, blew the whistle, and Hendon moved out of the bottom 3 with a hard fought 1-0 win.


Gary McCann
Jason McKoy
Simon Clarke
Freddie Hyatt
Paul Towler
Curtis Warmington
Bontcho Guentchev
Davis Haule
Paul Whitmarsh
Jesse Hall
Dominic Gentle
Steve Baker
Dale Binns
Gary Fitzgerald

Match Events

Bontcho Guentchev

Farnborough Town

Squad unknown