Match Report

Carshalton Athletic
Monday 10 April 2000
Isthmian League Premier Division

Match Report

Hendon broke Carshalton hearts at Colston Avenue on Monday night when Freddie Hyatt converted a penalty 7 minutes into stoppage time. The Robins remain a point above the bottom three and still have one game in hand, but they remain in deep danger

The game was not a great spectacle, the bumpy pitch, gusty breeze and Carshalton's desperation all contributing to the hurly-burly nature of the game

There were few if any clear cut chances in the first half, when Hendon had the slope in their favour. Dale Binns given the start down the left flank met his match in Orlando Hollingsworth, who so comprehensively won the battle that Binns moved to calmer waters of encountering veteran Sean Daly. He didn't do much against him either. Paul Scott again worked very hard, but the uncompromising duo of Neil Robson and Matt Elverson gave neither Scott nor Dominic Gentle any scraps to feed on

Paul Towler was one of four natural central defenders in the line-up, so he played at right wing-back, allowing Gary Fitzgerald, Curtis Warmington and Matt Bartholomew to seal up the middle. This they did extremely well, sometimes stretched but never under extreme pressure. The midfield battle was made for Jon Daly and he was again superb, allowing Freddie Hyatt space to work and Simon Clarke also went forward regularly

Fitzgerald and Clarke picked up first half cautions as any challenge on a home player seemed to leave him in need of major treatment

Going up the hill, Hendon started the second half brightly and after 48 minutes, Paul Smith made a fine save to deny Scott, who had worked an opening

Carshalton continued to huff and puff, but no houses were blown down. A couple of slates of the roof of the cover behind the goal may have been dislodged by wildly errant shots, but the Hendon defence never looked like being breached

Gary McCann kept his second clean sheet in three days and this time he was even less employed than Saturday, neither having to run out of his penalty area to make clearances, nor catching a succession of crosses, nor even making a single save

Clarke was very unlucky to see a 22-yard free-kick flash just wide of the left upright after 78 minutes, and then came close with another powerful long-range drive. He also had a looping header caught by Smith near his line, an effort that would have seriously inconvenienced a goalkeeper of much lesser stature

Clarke was, however, fortunate not to be cautioned for a bad challenge in the second half. Referee Mr G Young (Dunstable) deciding a final warning more appropriate

Binns and Gentle were both withdrawn in the 80th minute of normal time and 6th minute of stoppage time, respectively, and it seemed as if a 0-0 draw would be the result

Carshalton would have taken a point with some joy and stretched their unbeaten run to 11 games, but they dozed in defence in the dying seconds

There seemed nothing on as a cross went too deep for Scott to reach. Neil Robson had the situation under control as he chased the ball, except that Scott gambled on his pace getting there first

He was right and reached the ball just inside the penalty area, facing the corner flag. There was nothing on and Scott admitted he would have struggled to do anything with the possession. However, the decision was taken away from him by Robson's lunge that clipped Scott's foot

Mr Young immediately pointed to the penalty spot, waved aside the three Carshalton protesters and waited for Hyatt to take the spot-kick

Hyatt said, "All I was thinking about was my miss at Hitchin. I thought, 'just strike it hard and put it on target'."

Smith guessed correctly, but HYATT's kick was perfectly placed low into the bottom corner under the goalkeeper's dive. There was time for play to restart, but only just

Report by David Ballheimer


Gary McCann
Matt Bartholomew
Simon Clarke
Jon Daly
Curtis Warmington
Gary Fitzgerald
Dale Binns
Freddie Hyatt
Paul Scott
Paul Towler
Dominic Gentle
Marvyn Watson
Davis Haule
Matthew Howard

Match Events

Marvyn Watson replaced Dale Binns
Davis Haule replaced Dominic Gentle
Freddie Hyatt

Carshalton Athletic

Squad unknown