Match Report

Abandoned at A-A after 100 minutes due to Bad light.
Monday 02 May 1927

Match Report

On Monday evening Hampstead entertained Savoy in the semi-final of the North Metropolitan Senior Competition (Hospital Saturday Fund) before a fairly good attendance.

[This competition was previously known as the"Daily Chronicle" Hospital Shield competition; see Reserves report for March 26th 1927 for Hampstead's previous match therein.]

In previous rounds Savoy had beaten Edmonton and Hampstead Reserves had worsted Wood Green, and the winners of the tie had the right to meet Tufnell Park in the final. Unfortunately, however, no decision was reached. At the end of ninety minutes no goals had been scored, and the referee ordered two extra periods of ten minutes each. Hampstead then scored a goal through Redding, but to the surprise of almost everybody on the ground, the referee abandoned the match at the end of the first extra ten minutes. There could have been no reason for his action except on the ground of bad light, but as it was possible for people in the pavilion to see the goal-posts at the other end of the ground the decision caused a good deal of unfavourable comment. It is a great pity that, seeing the object for which the competition was arranged, no conclusion was arrived at, as there may be a difficulty in fixing another date before the close season is upon us. Had Hampstead won, the final would probably have taken place on May 14th.

Hampstead made three changes in the team from that which did duty on Saturday. F. Young took the place of Deeks at outside-right; Redding, who has played for Uxbridge Town this season, appeared at centre-forward vice Shearcroft; and at right-back Bloxham stood down for Greenaway, an old Willesden boy who played against Civil Service at Claremont-road on Easter Monday.

The visitors were a bustling set of fellows, very speedy, and for the most part strong in kicking and tackling, the only fault in their play, and that a fatal one, being a decided weakness in front of goal. The same fault could be found in the Hampstead side, and while a good deal of credit must be given to the goalkeepers (Trevers for Hampstead and Morris for Savoy), at least half-a-dozen goals should have been scored during the match. Gilt-edged chances fell to both sides. On the whole, Savoy deserved a lead at the interval, but it was extremely hard luck for Hampstead that the whistle for half-time should go when Redding had the ball at his toe just in front of goal.

In the second half Hampstead had the better of the game, but could not score, Morris being very smart in goal.

During extra time Redding, as stated, notched a goal for Hampstead, an appeal for offside being disallowed. During this period Savoy were under the disadvantage of being without Warton, who went lame.

After he had settled down Greenaway did very well in defence. It was a pleasure to see Young again on the wing, although he is probably more valuable as an inside man ; and Redding proved useful, although he did not gather the ball too well.

Report by Hendon & Finchley Times


Jimmy Trevers
A Greenaway
Albert Parsons
A Anderson
Harold Pease
Bob Wardlaw
Freddy Young
G H Smith
G C Redding
Jimmy Smy
George Howell

Match Events

G C Redding


? Morris
? Warton