Hatters knock Greens out of FA Cup

Greensnet Editor
Sat 29 Oct 2011, 18:00

Hendon were ultimately well beaten by Luton Town to end their FA Cup run, but the 5-1 scoreline was a touch harsh.

It was a perfect start for the Greens, as with their first chance at goal in the 5th minute, Carl McCluskey headed home a free-kick much to the delight of the 193 travelling fans in the Oak Road Stand.

However the Hatters hit back, and were level within 3 minutes, Aaron O'Connor converting a penalty, and head after 13 when James Dance headed home. Unfortunately Dance suffered what appeared to be a nasty injury in the process of scoring and he was stretchered off. We hope that it's not serious and he's back in action soon.

Luton went further ahead in the 25th minute with Tommy Wright finding the back of the net from close range. The home side were passing the ball around very well, and weren't allowing the Greens time on the ball when they were in possession. The Hendon cause wasn't helped with Casey Maclaren and Carl McCluskey picking up injuries and both had to be replaced before half-time.

The second half saw Hendon start very brightly, and both Belal Aite-Ouakrim and James Parker, the latter with a superb overhead effort, saw chances go wide. However in the 64th minute Kevin Maclaren picked up a second yellow card, both card were a bit silly and unnecessary, to reduce the Greens to ten men.

In the 71st minute, with Jamie Busby off the field getting treatment on a head injury, Luton took advantage of their two man advantage and Stuart Fleetwood scored. Before the Greens had a chance to replace Busby, O'Connor had scored his second of the afternoon to give the home side an unassailable 5-1 lead. With the Greens being down to nine men for those couple of minutes, the two goals gave the scoreline a bit of gloss for the Hatters.

The tired Hendon side continued to battle and work hard, Ryan Wharton and Elliott Charles standing out in particular, and their performance probably deserved a second goal but it wouldn't come.

There's no doubt that the right side have progressed to the first round, and we wish Luton all the very best for the rest of the season, particularly in their bid to return to the Football League.